Thursday, April 29, 2010

Then & Now - Song By Song With Houston Wells

Then & Now : From Joe Meek To New Zealand

A few words from Houston Wells about the songs on his 2008 double album (with year of recording of each track)

CD 1 – Songs From The Early Years Of My Career

1. This Song Is Just For You (1962)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
This old Hank Locklin hit is one of the songs that started it all for me, and my very first release back in the 60's. Surprisingly enough it was all set to pop into the charts, however, to our dismay, Elvis Presley brought out "Bossa Nova Baby" and nudged us out of contention. The King bossa-novad right into the very spot we
had been eyeing up.


2. "North Wind (1962)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
The flip side to "Shutters And Boards" not surprising it had more appeal than the A side.


3. Only The Heartaches (1963)
One of it's many titles, most people with a few years under their belt would recognize the melody. Originally "The Bard Of Armagh", "The Old Homing Waltz", "The Streets Of Laredo" and so on. My most successful record to date. It took me to number 18 in the British charts. Did slightly better in the Ireland, stayed in the
top 10 for seven weeks.


4. Can't Stop Pretending (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
A song I co-wrote. Arrangement, Pete Willsher.

5. Blowing Wild (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
The ballad of black gold, from the movie of the same name.

6. Crazy Dreams (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
Penned by yours truly.

7. Girl Down The Street (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
Also penned by yours truly. Joe Meek really had the peddle to the mettle on this one when we recorded it. Then he speeded it up even more after the session was done. I had used the falsetto break on songs like “Only The Heartaches” and “Ramona” but Joe had me put a full yodel in this one.

8. Ramona (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
We got pipped at the post by the Bachelors, with this one. The EP of this recording is now one of my rarest records!.

9. Anna Marie (1964) (Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
A beautiful love song made famous by Jim Reeves. I enjoy listening to this song since my son remixed it.

10. Strangers (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
A good song castrated by the turbocharged effect. It was never intended to be so fast but Joe wanted us to do it at this pace. The original release was speeded up even more after the session, like several others on this CD.

11. Hula Love (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
Written by one of the all time greats, Buddy Knox. Goes down well in New Zealand!.

12. Call Me Another Time (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
This is another song I co-wrote.

13. All For The Love Of A Girl (1963)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
A Johnny Horton penned song, and one of my all time favourites.

14. The Wild Side Of Life (1964)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
A big hit for Hank Thompson and covered by many artistes. One of the all-time country classics. Tracks (14) & (15) were backed by The Outlaws. Chas Hodges, from Chas & Dave fame on bass guitar. Widely known Mick Underwood, on drums. Canadian born Ken Lundgren, on steel guitar. Last but not least, was Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore.

15. Galway Bay (1964)
One of the great classics of Irish music. I worked extensively in Ireland and love the lilting Irish ballads. Through the years they have had a great influence on country music all around the world.



16. Well Remember You (1964)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
This track was recorded as a tribute to the late Jim Reeves, with whom I'd not long finished touring when he was killed. The song was penned by the late Geoff Goddard. Unfortunately, before the song could be released, Geoff & Joe Meek had a falling out; hence the song was shelved. It never saw the light of day until 1999 when it was released on a short-lived CD compilation of my early songs.. However, the record had never been finalized. The Masters Showband originally backed me on the track, my son Robert completed the song for me. Had the song been released at the time of Jim Reeves demise, I have no doubt it would have been a huge hit. Produced by Joe Meek, Completed by Robert Smith.

17. Blue Of The Night (1965)
Bing Crosby's theme song. Big Jim Sullivan on lead guitar. Back up vocals by the Masters Showband. Recorded in London, produced by Shel Talmy.

18. Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger? (1968)
Arrangement by Alan Moorhouse. Produced by Tony Reeves. Recorded in London. Back up vocals by The Ladybirds (aka The Benny Hill Singers). Pete Willsher on steel guitar. This goes to show that even back then, UK musos could produce a good, commercial country sound.

19. Teach Me Little Children (1968)
(Previously unreleased 2007 remix)
Arrangement by Alan Moorhouse, Produced by Tony Reeves. Recorded in London.

20. "Above And Beyond" (1966)
Recorded in the Chris Andrews, "Yesterday Man" style. Backed by the Premier Aces Showband. Went to number 4 in the Irish charts. It was never released in England. Recorded and produced by Tommy Ellis, in the Ardmore Film studios, Dublin.

21. When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold (1966)
From the same session as "Above And Beyond". This is another country standard that has been covered by numerous artistes since the writers Wiley Walker and Gene Sullivan first recorded it.

22. Hello Mary Lou (1969)
I'm sure every man and his dog would know this one. Recorded in the Eamonn Andrews Studios, Dublin, Backed by the Trident Showband from Limerick. Penned by Gene Pitney, for Rick Nelson. Made number 2 for Rick in the UK, way back in 1961.

23. I Won't Go Hunting With You Jake (2007)
(Re-recorded Version)
A song from my old "Western Style" LP. However, not happy with Joe's treatment of the song, I made the decision to re-record it with my son Robert.

24. Just For Old Times Sake (2007)
(Re-recorded Version)
A song I originally recorded at the Meek studios with The Masters Showband. One of many that never saw the light of day. With all the artists Joe had on his books, there must have been a treasure-trove of songs lost when the studio was ransacked after the man's demise. Re-recorded with my son Robert.

25. Little Black Book (2007)
(Re-recorded Version)
Another song from my "Western Style" LP. Again, this is one that I was never happy with. Therefore, given the opportunity to re-record it I jumped at the chance. Arrangement and production, rhythm, bass, and lead guitar by Robert Smith. Piano by Alex Wiltshire. Dobro by Matt Sturgess.

26. Little Daughter (1997)
(Previously Unreleased)
This song is all about my first daughter Linda being born. The joy and jubilation I felt when I found I had a beautiful little girl was beyond words. I have to say this doesn't take anything away from my two other beautiful daughters, Nicola and Andrea or my five sons, Robert, Martin, Philip, Timothy and Dean. It took me a lot of years to put this song together. However I think it was worth the wait. Arranged by Robert Smith. Produced by Dave Maybee. Rhythm guitar and back up vocals by Robert Smith. Acoustic guitar by Dave Maybee. Recorded in Hamilton New Zealand.

27. Ireland (1997)
(Previously Unreleased)
This song was penned for me by my son Robert. Arranged by Robert Smith. Produced by Dave Maybee. Back up vocals by Robert Smith & Joy Adams.

CD2 - The Contemporary Houston Wells
(All tracks on CD 2 are released for the first time, anywhere)

1. The End Is Not In Sight (2004)
I’m just hoping the end stays out of sight for a while yet! This track was deemed by all involved to be a good opening track. My son Robert does all the instrumental work, also the vocal backings.

2. Send A Message To My Heart (2004)
This Dwight Yoakam hit was recorded with an Eagles feel and has a strong message in the lyric. It has been picked as a favourite by everyone that has heard it.

3. As I Leave Behind Neidin (1997)
An old Irish song, I just love the lyric. Mind you, that's not taking anything away from the melody. I also have a fondness for the Mandolin too.

4. Devil Woman (2004)
A wonderful old Marty Robbins song with a new arrangement… This song means a lot to me, and I received several e-mails from Marty’s fans in Nashville complimenting me on my rendition when they heard the segment that was available on my website.

5. Lonely Street (2004)
An old Carl Belew classic. I worked with Carl back in the 60s. This has to be a very special track for me for another reason. I not only have my son working with me on it, but my two granddaughters sing backing vocals. I have to say while I was recording the song there were a few tears flowing. Its not every day a recording artist gets to work on a CD with his children and grandchildren!.

6. The Girl From Yesterday (1997)
This is an old Eagles song, Dave Maybee on lead guitar, Joy Adams singing back up vocals.

7. Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (2007)
A song that has long been a favourite with country artistes. Both Hank Locklin and Slim Whitman made beautiful recordings. That’s not the reason I wanted to do it though; my mother used to sing it to me when I was a kid. I’ve had it in mind to record this one for a number of years, so after a well-earned rest it’s finally
getting an airing.


8. Sleepy Eyed John (2007)
I have to acknowledge Johnny Horton for this one. I’ve been kicking it around for a lot of years, and with many requests to put it on CD. Finally sleepy eyed Houston got the job done. We all had a great time rocking along with this one.

9. I Really Don’t Want To Know (2004)
This song should have been recorded when I was at the height of my career. It was so popular with the audience I had to repeat it several times a night. Way back it was a hit for Eddy Arnold but has been covered by many other singers.

10. Forty Shades Of Green (1997)
Johnny Cash penned this one but many people think it is an authentic Irish song. A lot of people believe that because I sing a few Irish songs, I am from Ireland. Not true; I was born in Northumberland on the English, Scottish boarder. My mother was of Irish descent. My father was Scottish.

11. King Of Fools (2004)
I didn't pick this song for my CD. My son Robert has to carry the can for that. However, I have to say I’m glad he did.

12. I Wouldn’t Cheat On You (1997)
This song is an original. My son Robert wrote it for me. It got an exceptionally good review in England. I like this song very much.

13. One More Last Chance (2004)
This Vince Gill song was one of two songs specially picked as worth buying the CD for when it was reviewed by Maurice Bowers, Country Music Pundit for Thunderbolt Magazine.

14. Sweet And Gentle Love (2004)
This is the other song picked by Maurice Bowers as being worth buying the CD for. It’s another Irish song that I have a lot of time for. It has a beautiful lyric and a lovely melody.

15. My Happiness (2004)
From my findings I would think anyone that has a voice, would have had a crack at this old favourite. Perhaps that’s why it still has a good following.

16. If I Didn’t Have You In My World (2004)
One of my favourite Vince Gill songs. My son Robert made an excellent job of the backings. I have to say it was no mean feat on his part.

17. I Will Love You Every Time (2004)
What can I say? It’s Irish. Moving words, magical melody. Altogether a delightfully poignant little song. It’s such a thrill to sing a song when there is a lot of meaning in the words and music.

18. If The Whole World Stopped Loving (1997)
A song I picked up in Dublin in my heyday, so it has been on my list to record for a long time. Originally a big hit for Roy Drusky. Dave Maybee is playing lead guitar. My sons Robert and Philip are doing backup vocals. Robert has a share in writing this one as he made a few changes in words and music.

19. Honky Tonk Man (2004)
I used to sing this song when I was knee high to a grasshopper. However, the arrangement wasn't anything like this. If you’re having a bad day it’s a good song to get you going! Another great Johnny Horton song co-written by the late and great producer, arranger and manager Tillman Franks.

20. Bluest Heartache Of The Year (2007)
A cruisey little song that is always really well received by audiences. Other artistes including Australia’s Rex Dallas have recorded it but it was originally a hit for Kenny Dale.


21. You’re My Best Friend (2004)
I only recently realised that most people know this song. It was recorded extensively in England after Don Williams had a big hit with it. That’s something I didn’t know when I recorded it. It is an easy-going, lilting country number that always appealed to me.

©2007 Houston Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment